Successful 3X3 National Qualifies held in the Lesser Antilles
including; Antigua & Barbuda, Aruba, Barbados, Curacao, Guyana,
Martinique, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, St. Vincent & the Grenadines and
Trinidad & Tobago.
The winner of each
national qualifiers will represent their country in the Antilles 3x3
International Youth Championships in St. Lucia.
The Antilles 3x3 International Youth Championships is scheduled to be held in Castries, St. Lucia February 25, 2017
1. Inspire, engage and unlock the potential of youth basketball players
from the Lesser Antilles to be better leaders on and off the
2. Promote local and international basketball activity in the Lesser Antilles islands
3. Engage local and international National Federation's (France,
Netherlands, and UK) who have overseas territories in the region
4. Create a platform for promoting and highlighting Fiba IBF's commitment to using basketball as a tool for development
5. Use the 3x3 platform to determine the most pressing issues facing
young people and develop a long-term plan that supports youth
once they go back to their communities
Long term Goal: More young people engaged in regular basketball
activity and with skills to use basketball as a tool for development
in their communities.
Through this event we are focusing on creating changes in participants' lives including:
• Improved social networks
• Improved understanding of the role basketball can play in meeting community/development challenges
• Increased leadership skills
• A network of youth leaders who can ultimately become community champions in their countries
What we believe about out youth:
Our belief is if young people are given the right tools and support,
they can become drivers of growth in their communities. We further
that sport and in particular basketball is uniquely positioned to attract and inspire youth.
Challenges facing youth in the Lesser Antilles:
Although we have not done in-depth analysis of the region and further
research is needed, some of the main social challenges impacting on
youth in the regions include:
• High levels of violent crime
• Drug and alcohol abuse
The issues highlighted above are complex and cannot be solved in the
time allocated to the 3x3 event. There we would propose a basic youth
leadership training that will give youth skills and the resilience to make better-informed decisions.